Monday, February 20, 2012

Theme Parks As Downtowns Inc.

I work in a theme park and, while I do find it a little disconcerting that hospitality is an industry instead of something which we show to our friends, I am wondering if the theme parks don't serve a certain desire for the Main-Street-style community that I am sure I am not alone in longing for.  Has anyone else gotten this sense, or would talking about this with me just give you a headache?

Universal Studios and Sea World etc. don't have the Main Street Disney feel to them, but people still pay dearly to enter them instead of going to a public park.  Public parks were a good idea, but most are too large with too much isolation.  I sure wish that we could have more urban parks that allowed people to be seen by passersby whom were going about their normal business.  I suspect that a majority percentage of all large urban parks go completely unused by a fearful public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment